Disability Awareness Training
for your business-because a more
inclusive & diverse workplace
makes good business sense
Certificate of Completion awarded to participants.
Post-support consultation available
Book your free session now
Ph: 5222 3377
Not everyone has experience of disability and people with disabilities and there are so many misconceptions. The only way to break these myths is through AWARENESS
DON’T STARE, BE AWARE is a free disability awareness training package delivered to help your business become a more inclusive and diverse workplace.
I highly recommend the session to anyone, everyone should do it. Faye’s session was educational, inspiring and motivating. Faye will challenge your perceptions and give you the insight to challenge others
*This training is available free only to Geelong businesses and is delivered for free from 1 July 2018- 30 June 2019.
This is an initiative of Encompass Community Services, funded by Give Where You Live.
The session runs for one hour and is conducted by a presenter who lives with a disability. Session topics include:
- various challenges that a person with a disability faces that hinders/limits understanding
- strategies and ideas about how the person and the employer can work together to overcome these challenges
- understanding a person with a disability’s desire to find meaningful work and how this can be channelled into opportunity for employers to hire a dedicated, committed, loyal and skilled worker
- information about some common disabilities and mental illnesses
SAMPLE OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF DISABILITIES DISCUSSED
- Cerebral Palsy
- Mental illness
- Intellectual disability
- Hearing impairment
- Vision impairment
- Prader Willi syndrome
- Fragile X syndrome
Faye Dixon is the Project Officer at Encompass Community Services. Faye has developed and also facilitates the “Don’t Stare be Aware” a Disability Awareness training program giving real life experience of disability in the workplace.
Within this training program, Faye will talk about several types of disabilities and hopefully YOU will get a better understanding of what people with disabilities “CAN DO rather than what they CAN’T DO”
Our Don’t Stare be Aware program has delivered professional training to many clients in the short time we have been running the program. Some of our notable clients include
- City of Greater Geelong
- City of Greater Geelong School Holiday Programe
- SC technology
- Rotary club of Grovedale/Warnponds
- Rosewall Neighbourhood House
- Golden Plains shire
- And many Sole Traders
And of course at Encompass we walk the talk, delivering professional training to our own divisions, making sure we deliver the same quality of training to our own staff and volunteers. So far we have trained:
- Members at the Accommodation Services in Hansen Drive
- Our Options and Connections Casuals
- The Encompass Employment Consultants
- Our Encompass Volunteers
- The Participants of Cert 3 in Allied Health Assistance
- Our Participants of Cert 4 in Disability
- The Staff and Casuals at the Encompass Community Services General Invitation
- Our Encompass Staff Group
- And at 3219 HUB at Apollo Place for the Full Time Staff and Casuals
If you want a Don’t Stare Be Aware program run at your workplace, contact us to arrange a time!